Thanks for your interest in The Kenyon Review. Be sure to choose the correct submission category (drama, fiction, nonfiction, poetry, or translation) and carefully read the submission guidelines to determine what information to include with your submission. In the case of the Patricia Grodd Poetry Contest or the Short Fiction Contest, check the guidelines to ensure your eligibility and learn about the open submission periods.
For regular submissions:
Please submit no more than one submission in a given genre while a decision from us is outstanding; multiple submissions sent in the same genre will be returned unread. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable; please notify us immediately if the work has been accepted elsewhere:
- For prose and drama submissions, please use your submittable.com account to withdraw your piece
- For poetry submissions, please use your submittable.com account to add a note to your submission listing the titles of works no longer available for consideration
We will only consider work that has not been previously published.
- short fiction and essays (up to 7,500 words)
- poetry (up to 6 poems; please format and submit as a single document)
- plays (up to 30 pages)
- excerpts (up to 30 pages) from larger works
- translations of poetry and short prose
We do not accept:
- unsolicited reviews
- unsolicited interviews
- email submissions (please use the submittable.com system on our site)
- previously published material
The Patricia Grodd Poetry Prize for Young Writers is an annual contest for poets who are sophomores and juniors in high school. The Kenyon Review will publish the winning poem and two runners-up, and the winning poet will be offered a full scholarship to the Kenyon Review's summer writing workshop for high school aged writers, the Young Writers program. Submissions for the contest are open Nov. 1st through Nov. 30th, 2017.
Please submit only one poem to the contest. Only unpublished work will be considered for the prize. Submissions submitted simultaneously to the contest and other publishing opportunities cannot be considered.
Winners will be announced in early February via e-mail, on the Kenyon Review website, and in the February Kenyon Review newsletter.
To submit your poem: fill out the fields below, attach your file, and click the "submit here" button. Thanks for your interest in the Kenyon Review.